The Lanier Mansion is situated on the Ohio River in Madison, Indiana, facing the Kentucky border. Built c. 1840-44 by J.F.D. Lanier, a successful businessman, the house is an antebellum mansion with Greek architectural details illustrating the latest fashion of the time. Now owned by the State of Indiana, the Indiana Society has been involved in consulting and providing acquisitions support to the museum house since 1981. The Lanier Mansion is a National Historic Landmark.An archaeological dig was initiated by the Indiana Dames on the grounds for research purposes and subsequently continued by the State of Indiana. The Dames also supported the restoration of the interior center hall with the original pink paint, an historic reproduction carpet of the period, and furnishings for the hall. The Indiana Society continues to support the mansion with in-kind donations.
Click here for Directions: J.F.D. Lanier Mansion